Sunday, January 9, 2011

La Historia de Miguelito - Post by Mike

What a week! It has been a week of extremes...as I guess it would be for any new expat. There are moments in each day that make me love Mexico City, and there are times that I long for the familiarity of home. Some examples...



Missing Home

-Cannot find normal milk for Annabelle

-Living in hotel with one room, no fridge, nothing included for 200 usd per night

-No Whole Foods

-1 hour meeting completely in Spanish

-Annabelle had night terrors

-No car

-Not enough cash to get to and from work next week taking taxis at 50 usd per day

-Clean water



Loving Mexico

-Chapultepec Park (Central Park is NYC as Chapultepec Park is to DF)

-New home in Polanco

-Walking 7 miles per day in Polanco

-No car (this can be both good and bad)

-People here are nice

-Intensive Spanish classes start Tuesday

-My co-workers are dedicated, driven, and intelligent

-My co-workers couldn't be more friendly

-72 degrees and sunny daily (no need to check for windchill and snow emergencies)





I will try to keep my posts different from Jill's. Not because I am worried about being repetitive, but she and I will have two completely different experiences. I feel like I am assimilating to Mexico quicker than Jill, because of my work experience. I have had a week of people talking around me and about me, with no idea of what they are saying (not for long...Berlitz here I come!). Also, my experience is quite different than Jill's, because my co-workers will be my friends and social interaction most of the time. I have people to teach me about culture (dia de reyes...rosca de reyes), teach me new words, and interact with for 10+ hours a day. Whereas, Jill will have to work to establish these relationships. Much of the differences the first few months will be the result of Jill having more time to miss home than me. Other than the language differences, some cultural differences, and a few different brands, finance work is universal.





As hinted at above, my first cultural experiences in Mexico was dia de reyes (day of kings). This is a big day for families with young children. Consider this as Christmas part 2. I was called into an office with two giant cakes (more like sweet bread) in the shape of a wreath. As the new guy, and the gringo, I was told to cut the first piece of the rosca de reyes. Luckily enough, I found the baby Jesus in my piece. Looks like I will be bringing tamales to work February 2nd! This was a fun time at work, and something that would not have happened in the US. Sure, maybe on somebody's birthday a cake is brought to the office, but in my office in Mexico (la oficina de Mexico) almost each department had someone bring rosca de reyes. This is a tradition I will bring home with my family and friends!



http://www.inside-mexico.com/featurereyes.htm





As Jill keeps reminding me, I am quite stressed in Mexico, so far. In addition to leaving my home, my work, my sports, my things, my organic food, and water that can be drank from a faucet, I have the pressures of work. Maybe pressure is not the correct word or emotion. I say that because pressure has a negative connotation. This is a good pressure. It is the challenge that everyone wants in their career. In my opinion, pressure what makes me better. Pressure from work forces me to learn new skills, read new books, and work with new people. This to me is stressful now, but will be my favorite part of my time in Mexico, from a work perspective. If I had just taken this job in my old office, the challenge would not have been that great. But, in a new office, with all new people, except el jefe grande (the big boss...I worked with at my old office in the US), a new language, and a new culture. I am back out of my comfort zone at work...and it will be great.



One week down, and at this point I am hoping my assignment gets extended. I am sure my opinion of staying longer or not will change on a regular basis, but for now I hope I get to stay for more than doce meses (12 months).



hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment