Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Two Week Trip - Post Three

"Bueno?"

Every time I hand someone pesos, I say "bueno?", asking them if I have provided them with enough cash. They look at me like I've lost my mind. I am doing alright with my $20 and $50 pesos, as they are bills. I don't pay as much attention to the coins, as in the U.S., we don't use our change very often.

Here in Mexico, Mike has been told to "mind his change". The coins are used for tipping. Tipping is very important. In the U.S., we tip a minimum of 15% at restaurants. In Mexico, it is more like 10-12%. But, you tip so many more people in Mexico. If you were to parallel park on the street and someone comes along to help you, telling you that you are clear...you are expected to tip him!

At gas stations, it is full service pumping. But, you must tip, as that is the ONLY money the gas station attendants earn. (Side note: there is only one gas company in Mexico - PeMex. The government controls and supplies the gas).

Also, you better carry pesos as you almost always have to pay to park. The mall, Starbucks, McDonalds, etc. As someone who puts a $1 drink on her credit card, as she NEVER has cash, this is going to be quite an adjustment!

2 comments:

  1. I love all the updates sistermae - keep them coming! I hope to be bilingual at the end of your year in Mexico just by reading your blog. :) I do love all the fun Mexico facts that you sharing with your readers. Add a few pictures when you can!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just explained to Jill why the Mexicans look at her like she is a fool when saying "bueno" while paying for items. They say bueno when answering the phone. It is slang for buenos dias. My spanish word of the day is tengo. I get/understand.

    ReplyDelete