Monday, March 14, 2011

Air Shipment

Last Thursday our air shipment was packed.

Typically, relocation includes an air shipment and a full truck load to get all of one's belongings to their new location.

Since we are doing a short term assignment that will last anywhere from 9 to 18 months, we were only given an air shipment.

The air shipment consists of a 3.5' x 3.5' x 3.5' box. Total it can weigh 440 pounds. So, I was given an allowance of 340 pounds to fit everything I thought I might want and need in Mexico.

Needless to say, that is not a lot and the weight goes quickly when you have a child, with a 100 pound crib and 100 toys!

After the moving disassembled the crib, boxed it, and put it the shipment, I quickly decided that Annie will have to make do in her travel crib or on her crib mattress, as the actual crib took too much of our weight.

The second box packed were our two flat screen tv's. I asked the packer to use as little paper as possible, instead using my blankets, pillows, clothes, etc. After the box was packed, he informed me that he has never packed a box like this before, not even when moving himself. Hopefully none of the pillows slip, allowing the tv's to touch...but if it happens, it's my fault!

Moving along to the kitchen...I brought 6 plates, 6 bowls, 8 glasses, silverware, a mixing bowl, a strainer, a blender, and a few spatulas. Somehow that box weighed 60 pounds...significantly more than expected. In hindsight, I should have left that all behind, purchased cheap $1.50 plates in Mexico...and brought a few photos and picture frames.

In the end, the rest of the shipment consists of baby toys, a toddler car seat, and bedding. Hopefully it is enough to get us through 9-18 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment