Thursday, June 2, 2011

Grocery Shopping in Mexico...The Scarcity Model

In Polanco, the closest thing we have to a Whole Foods is a VERY small store called "The Green Corner".

We went there last Sunday and bought two packages of turkey burgers (hamburgesas de pavo). The turkey burgers were EXCELLENT!!! The two packages (4 burgers in each package) cost a total of $14 USD.

So, I walked back today, hoping to stock up on more turkey burgers. Unfortunately, The Green Corner was out of all pavo products. The store clerk told me to come back on "Lunes o Martes", as they might have some then.

Can you imagine going to a US grocery store and them being sold out of ALL turkey products?!?!

In Mexico, this happens all the time.

My new favorite drink is Vitamin Water. For some reason right now...there is NO Vitamin Water at 7-11, Superama OR the Walmart I went to yesterday!!

Mike is addicted to the blue can of Monster energy drinks. In the US, we bought them by the case at Costco. In Mexico, there are no Monster cases at Sam's Club. So, Mike is frequently looking for them at the various 7-11's, Oxxo's and Circle K's near us. The 7-11 sells out VERY quick. If my Spanish were better, I would ask them to order an extra case each month and I will buy the whole case...but, my Spanish is poor...worse than poor... so, we'll continue the seemingly daily hunt for the blue can... As well as for my coveted Ponche de Frute Vitamin Water!

It seems as though Mexico operates on the scarcity model. Supply is low and demand is high!

When I walk into the Superama on Horacio, in Polanco, there is a table filled with "US items". Snyders pretzel, various special cases of Coca-Cola products (but NEVER Cherry Coke...can't find that anywhere!), and chocolate covered pretzels. But this table is also subject to change each day. If you don't stock up on those chocolate covered pretzels, or even regular pretzels...you may never see them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment