Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Rachel's Thoughts on Mexico City...

My sister-in-law Rachel came to visit last weekend. We thought we would start asking our visitors to write a blog entry at the end of their visit. So, here are Rachel's thoughts...

I'm looking out the window somewhere between Dallas and Indianapolis as I write this entry. The point where the light pollution meets the starry sky has captured my interest. I just left Mexico City after visiting Mike, Jill, Annie, and Molly. It was my first trip abroad and the first time I'd had them all to myself for years.

I was nervous about going through customs, but it was easier than navigating through airport security. The travel was quick and painless.

Mexico City was as I had imagined. When I first left the airport, I was a bit shocked by some of the poverty around me. It was similar to the less fortunate areas of Miami or even downtown Middletown, Ohio.

As we entered Polanco, however, I felt instantly at home. I had found Miami, minus the water.

Polanco was filled with complexes with ornate walls and gates, cafes spilling onto the sidewalks, and people walking everywhere. The temperature hovered in the upper 90s for my trip, but even with no climate control system it was comfortable to be inside or out.

We walked all over the city (or at least it felt like it). I loved all the exercise because it made up for all the excellent food! Villa Maria comes highly recommended even by this vegetarian. I had Queso fresco de san juan del rio. It was a block of soft cheese drizzled with verde salsa and covered in fresh cilantro. It came with soft corn tortillas, and I haven't stopped thinking about it since I came home. Another favorite was Yogurtland. Very glad there isn't one in Dayton, OH!

My first day, I met Jill and Annie at the house and Jill showed my around until Mike got home. Annie was a bit shy for the first hour, but we were best friends for the rest of the weekend.

Jill and I had made plans to go to the zoo Friday afternoon, but we spent the morning walking around the city while Annie was in school. We went to the Soumaya Museum and did a quick walk through. We saw everything, but didn't gaze longinly at the pieces on display. Just my style. After some research, it turns out the sculptures that looked like Dali were Dali. Maybe I know more about art than I would have supposed.

The zoo had a good layout and a good variety of animals, but it was hot and we were all tired so we cut it short. They had all the usual animals, but I got to see my first wolf and some Mexican rabbits. They had raccoons on display, which was odd. Here, the only raccoons in zoos are digging through the trash cans.

Mexico City was a perfect vacation spot for a relaxing weekend. Grab a cerveza, take a walk, and enjoy everything the senses can absorb (especially the tastes).

Thank you so much Mike, Jill, Annie, and Molly! I can't wait to come visit you again.

1 comment: