Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Credit Cards vs. Pesos

In the U.S., I never carried cash EVER. If I had to purchase an item for 75 cents and they took credit cards...I would charge it. If I came across something that only took cash, I would move along. But, just about everywhere takes credit cards and it is EXTREMELY rare for a credit card machine to be offline. I used to go to McDonalds every day and get a $1 fountain diet coke. In over a year, I only experienced having their credit card machine offline once.

In Mexico, machines are down frequently and pesos are king. Around here, you better carry pesos, because so many times you'll go out and the credit card machines will be down. Starbucks, 7-Eleven, etc.

I get so frustrated walking to the end of my block into 7-Eleven, loading my arms with bottled water, and getting to the counter, where they ring me up and then tell me that the machine is down (after seeing my credit card in my hand as soon as my intended purchases are on the counter). Then, I have to walk back home, get pesos and come back OR put off stocking up on bottled water for another day.

If it happened once, that's fine. I understand. But this happens all the time. So, now I am forced to carry pesos with me, which I hate because then I get coins back in surplus and rarely use them.

Plus, to get pesos, I have to use my ATM card and then I get charged a "foreign transaction fee". If I use my credit card...I don't have a fee.

Along the same lines...

In the U.S., it is so much quicker to check out somewhere with a credit card. A swipe (sometimes no signature) and you are out the door.

In Mexico, credit cards take soooo much longer. I think people cringe behind you when you take out a credit card. The machines take a ton longer, you have to sign 100% of the time (and they don't hand your credit card back to you until you have signed).

Taking out a credit card here is like someone taking out their checkbook in the U.S. It's almost like "are you kidding me? Why are you paying with that?" So, again, pesos are king here in Mexico City! All part of the experience!!

No comments:

Post a Comment