Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Living in Mexico without Speaking Spanish

For four months now, I have been getting along just fine living in Mexico City, speaking very little Spanish. It has been surprisingly easy and people have been VERY nice about it!

I have just experienced my first slightly negative experience though!

I was checking out at the grocery store the other morning and the cashier kept asking me if I needed my parking ticket stamped. (You have to pay for parking everywhere that you go in Mexico City). As I walk to the grocery store, I don't need my ticket punched/stamped. So, I said no to the cashier. She proceeded to ask two more times. At which point I said, "no hablo Espanol." The woman behind me then translated for me. I told her "gracias", then told the cashier "no" again. The woman behind me then said, in a more snotty tone, "you live in Mexico and you don't speak Spanish?" I smiled at her and said "si". Then, went on my way.

While this is not a horrible experience by any means, I was a bit taken aback by the tone of her voice. Most people ask "cuantos mesas in Cuidad de Mexico?" or something to that effect...asking me how long I have lived in Mexico City. And, all those people have been very friendly.

I cannot imagine translating for someone in the U.S. and taking a negative tone of voice. I am sure there are plenty of U.S. citizens that would, as we are by no means perfect, but I have not come across it. You can be sure that if I ever do, I will remember this experience and shoot daggers from my eyes at the mean translator!

No comments:

Post a Comment