Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Dealing with Life in the U.S. while Living Abroad

While we are living in Mexico, my parents have custody of our car (sold one before we left, kept the other to drive when we are back). My parents are also begrudgingly in charge of collecting rent on our rental properties.

One tenant is habitually a problem, bouncing rent checks, not paying on schedule, etc. The others have been okay thus far.

Today the car became a bit of an issue. We have an Infiniti G35x. Before we left for Mexico, we received a letter from Infiniti, stating that there was a recall on the door trim. PERFECT! Because ours had snapped off a few months before that. In my infinite car wisdom, I decided to buy Gorilla Glue and piece it back together. Horrible results. So, we were ecstatic that Infiniti would fix it for free!

I scheduled two appointments before moving, but had to cancel both, due to issues with moving, going to the consulate to get visas, etc.

So, my parents took the car to the dealer this morning. A short time later, the dealer called back saying the car needs new brakes ($700) and a new tire pressure sensor (TPS - $250). The TPS light has been on, but I thought it was from the TPS I had put on in December needing to be reset by the dealer's computer. Apparently, it is a different TPS.

And, I knew we had done brakes fairly recently. So, I was not happy. Especially since I brought zero paperwork with me when we moved. So, I called Tuffy, where we had the TPS done. They had no record in their computer, saying the car hadn't been there since 2007. Very irritating, as I scrolled thru my text messages with my brother (a mechanic) and noted that I texted him, while waiting at Tuffy, on 12/1/10 asking if they were scamming me because I didn't know what a TPS was!

Then, I googled and found the number for Michael's Automative, who fixed the brakes last August. I called and got their voicemail, saying to leave a number and they'd call me back. I could leave my U.S. cell number...but that costs me 59 cents a minute to use. And, while the people at Michael's are nice, I doubt they want to call me on my Mexico landline.

So, I had to give my parents number, ask them to talk to them, etc.

It can be very irritating and difficult having to rely on other people to get things done. My parents have been excellent and EXTREMELY helpful with my car and rental properties. But, they aren't calling the shots on the car or evicting tenants! So, it is very frustrating to have to get news from them, then take action, and then report back to my parents on what I did and what they should expect... especially when a rent check bounces or brakes need fixed!

Living abroad is fun and a great experience, but there are still things at home to maintain and keep in the forefront of your mind. Not all ties will be severed, sometimes more will be created.

1 comment:

  1. Hi-I found your blog while looking for info on moving to Mexico City with a family. We're in the SF Bay Area and my husband has a job possibility in Mexico City starting in 2012. We have young children and I am excited/terrified. :) If you wouldn't mind contacting me directly, I would love to ask you a few questions--my address is wordnerd71 at yahoo.com. Thanks! Julia

    ReplyDelete