Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Making Friends Abroad

Making friends abroad seems to be very easy. I was lucky enough to have run into a woman (Jennifer) at the park in January. She invited me to a playgroup within a few days, emailed with me while I was still in the U.S., and met up with me again once I was in Mexico full-time! Since then I have gone to the playgroup regularly and made friends with many of the women.

If I hadn't been so lucky to randomly meet this friend, I would have probably gone the traditional route and joined "newcomer's club", where there are online postings for playgroups, get togethers, available maid's/nannies, etc.

Since moving to Mexico, my social calendar has increased tenfold. My parents tell me it's because I am now making an effort to meet people and get to know them! In the U.S., if I saw another mom at the park, we would ignore one another. In Mexico, that is not the case.

Is it that Americans living in Mexico are used to getting out of their comfort zone and look to help others and make new friends? Quite possibly!

A few weeks ago, Mike, Annie, Molly and I were out on a walk. All of a sudden, a couple walking across the street from us flagged us down and asked if were from the U.S. and if we lived in Mexico. Immediately, without question, we opened up to them, told them all about ourselves and talked for 10+ minutes about Mexico City, where they were from, ages of kids, etc.

After we talked and gave them Mike's email address, I left thinking several things:

1. It is odd that after three months I am able to give advice on life in Mexico City

2. It is odd that after three months I am totally confident giving said advice and offering to show the wife around town, etc.

3. I would never have even considered giving out such personal information to someone I just met on the street in the U.S. Maybe my email address and cell for work purposes (real estate is all about networking)...but probably not as I was a lot more shy in the U.S. and skeptical of why someone would approach me.

Nevertheless, this nice family will be in Mexico City in a few weeks and I hope the wife contacts me, so that I can bring her to playgroup and pay Jennifer's kindness forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment