Friday, April 29, 2011

Credit Card and Debit Card Issues

While I was back in the U.S., I cut up my previous credit card. Then, called the number on the newly issued card and activated it.

We used it a few times, at O'Hare airport, then at the grocery in Mexico, etc last Sunday.

When I went to Sam's Club Monday morning...my card was declined at checkout. Lovely, especially with the language barrier between myself and the checkout person.

So, I left the line and called the international number on the back of my credit card. I got disconnected twice (lovely when you are paying 59 cents a minute for the calls), then got ahold of someone on the third call. He told me that my card was never activated. WHAT? How could it not be activated, yet four transactions had already gone thru on it?? Regardless, he "activated" it and I got back in line, successfully paying for my stroller full of items.

Then, today, I went to a Banamex ATM (remember Banamex = Citibank) to use my debit card and take out pesos, so that I had enough to pay my cleaning woman tomorrow! My debit card wouldn't let me take any money out!! It let me see my balance...but wouldn't allow me to take any denomination of money out.

Very frustrating! I should be able to go to Banamex here, hand them my ATM card and photo identification and get the pesos out....but, I am hesitant to try because my debit card has my maiden name imprinted on it (even though the account is now in my married name)...and my photo ID is all in my married name.

I feel like I have made things more difficult on myself than necessary. Perhaps, when I got married, I should have changed everything over immediately...rather than gradually doing so throughout the years. Perhaps then, my debit card would have my married name on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment