Monday, April 4, 2011

Single Family Living to Condo Living

Adjusting to living in a condo building is going well, but different that expected.

I think the problem is is that I didn't give the adjustment much thought, beyond figuring out what I would need on a day to day basis.

Mike and I didn't consider that the front walkway isn't conducive to a stroller. Every time we take the stroller out, we get in the elevator, go down to the garage, then walk up the car ramp. Luckily, we haven't gone up or down the ramp at the same time as a car...yet.

Also, we didn't have any clue that the majority of buildings in Mexico do NOT have heat or air conditioning. We don't need either, due to the amazing weather. However, both the furnace and a/c generate noise. Noise that cancels out your neighbor's dog barking, door slamming, car honking (as Mexicans LOVE to do), and the noise of cars on the ramp entering and exiting the building.

There is no insulation. The exterior doors are thin. The exterior walls are single pane glass. Sounds travel!

It is also a bit frustrating because when Annabelle cries or is yelling, I know everyone in the building can hear her! So, when I am trying not to give into her, or am making her cry herself to sleep, I feel guilty that everyone can hear her...and I feel like a bad parent!

In all, I adore my building. The unit is spacious and nice. We love the floor plan. It is just a lot louder than life in the suburbs of Chicago, in a single family house! We could use some white noise and noise reduction measures!!

No comments:

Post a Comment