Friday, April 8, 2011

Montezuma...It's Inevitable

Montezuma's Revenge.

Unfortunately, getting it is inevitable in Mexico.

When we came to visit, for the first time, in October 2010, we weren't cautious. We brushed our teeth with water from the faucet. Quickly, Mike got a severe case of Montezuma and I a mild case. Mike's severe case included a fever, chills, body aches, and having to go to the bathroom every 10 minutes or so. Within 4 days, he lost 10 pounds.

Since that happened, we have been pretty cautious. Mike has been here since January, with no problems. We cook with bottled water, brush our teeth with bottled water, and ONLY drink bottled beverages at restaurants and at home.

However, this past Sunday, we went to El Bajio, a Mexican restaurant here in Polanco. The food was good, well priced, good atmosphere...and the HOTTEST salsa I have ever had in my life. My mouth was on fire for a good five minutes after having a bite. My Coca-Cola Light and botelo de agua didn't help at all. I got hot flashes and teary eyed waiting for my mouth to stop burning! Apparently...I also got montezuma.

Racking my brain since I got sick on Tuesday evening, the salsa is the only thing I can think of that I have eaten that was not cooked. Luckily, another mild case for me. The worst part was having to go the immigration office on Wednesday morning to pick up our FM3 cards. We walked about 10 blocks to get there, talked to the attorney, sat down for a minute, then walked up to sign, get fingerprinted, and get our cards. As I was signing my third document, I started losing my hearing and vision, on the verge of fainting. I quickly excused myself and sat down for a few minutes, which made a HUGE difference, luckily...since I had to walk 10 blocks to get back in bed!

Luckily, Annabelle is a picky eater. Thus, we have not had to deal with her getting Montezuma, which will most likely dehydrate her and put her in the hospital. So, for now, I am not pushing her to eat more foods!

No comments:

Post a Comment